• Nederlands
  • English
  • Français
  • Deutsch
Canal of Orleans
Beginning waterway: 
Height beginning waterway: 
90.00 meter
Height end waterway: 
81.00 meter
CEMT klasse: 
I spits
78 km
Construction decision: 
Start construction: 
Construction interrupted: 
Construction resumed: 
Taken in service: 
Closed in: 
Number of locks: 
Number of locks at opening: 
Hoogteverschil : 
33.00 m
Overwonnen door : 
12 sluizen
42.00 m
Overwonnen door: 
16 sluizen
Scheidingspand : 
123.12 m
€ 45.00
€ 45.00
€ 50.00
€ 40.00

laatste wijziging
Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 08:31

The Canal d'Orléans connects the Loire River at Orléans to a junction with the Canal du Loing and the Canal de Briare in the village of Buges near Montargis. It is entirely within the department of Loiret. The canal was begun in 1676 by Robert Mahieux, a timber merchant, when he was authorized to dig a 28 km canal for the shipping of his timber to Montargis. He conceded his canal to the Duke of Orléans who expanded it to connect the Loire River at Combleux and the Loing River. This was completed in 1692 with a length of 74 km and with 27 locks. In 1921, it was extended 5 km from Combleux to Orléans. The canal service was terminated in 1954. Though the canal is disused today, it is kept in a good state with its tow path being used as a cycle trail. Along the trail, you will see some of the original locks and gates and the pumping stations used to fill the canal with water from the Loire.[2] Locks No. 4 (Pont-aux-Moines) and No. 5 (Donnery) have been restored. In 2007, lock No. 1 in Orléans was restored. Locks No. 24 through 28 have been restored and are in use, but there is no connection with the Canal du Loing.[2] On the Orléans end, there are 19 km with three locks. On the other, there are 14 km with four locks working.
Canal de Orleans
Canal de Orleans
Canal de Orleans
Canal de Orleans
Canal de Orleans
Canal de Orleans
Canal de Orleans
Canal de Orleans
Canal de Orleans
Canal de Orleans